1. The teacher advised us________________
A. to be careful when doing these exercises. B. be careful when doing these exercises.
C. careful when doing these exercises. D. are careful when doing these exercises.
2. He told me _____________.
A. think well before I answered. B. think well before I answer.
C. to think well before I answered. D. to think well before I will answer.
3. “Don’t play video games all the time!”, he said.
A. He told the boy not to play video games all the time.
B. He said to the boy not play video games all the time.
C. He told to the boy not to play video games all the time.
D. He said the boy not play video games all the time.
4. “Be careful! The water is hot” she shouted.
A. She said to be careful because the water is hot.
B. She asked me to be careful because the water was hot.
C. She told me to be careful because the water is hot.
D. She shouted be careful because the water was hot.
5. The teacher ordered us not to make so much noise.
A. The teacher said us “Not make so much noise”.
B. The teacher told us “Didn’t make so much noise”.
C. The teacher ordered us “Not to make so much noise”.
D. The teacher said to us “Don’t make so much noise”.
6. “Don’t leave the window open, Ann” I said.
A. I told Ann not to open the window. B. I told Ann that the window was left open.
C. I told Ann that she didn’t leave the window open. D. I told Ann not to leave the window open.
7. Susan said, “If I were you, I’d go by taxi, Peter.”
A. Susan advised Peter to go by taxi B. Susan told Peter to go by taxi
C. Susan suggested Peter to go by taxi D. Susan stopped Peter from going by taxi 8. The waiter said, “Would you mind moving to another table ?”
A. The waiter asked me to mind moving to another table.
B. The waiter asked me moving to another table.
C. The waiter asked me to move to another table.
D. The waiter warned me to another table.
9. “Would you like to come to my birthday party, Sarah “ asked Frederic.
A. Frederic invited Sarah to his birthday party.
B. Frederic asked if Sarah was able to come to his birthday party.
C. Frederic asked Sarah if she liked his birthday party.
D. Frederic reminded Sarah of his coming birthday party.
10. John said, “You’d better not lend them any money, Daisy.”
A. John said Daisy not to lend them any money.
B. John said to Daisy not lend them any money.
C. John advised Daisy should not lend them any money.
D. John advised Daisy not to lend them any money.
VI.Circle the word with the italic consonant sound different from that of the others in each group.
1. hour half home house
2. union useful under university 3. water whale whole window
4. when who where which
5. usually uranium uniform umbrella
6. answer world write jewellery
7. children kitchen beach chemistry 8. game organize angry college 9. year youth jealous yellow
10. ugly unit ulcer upset
11. mow lawn forward power
12. win wine wrong wet
13. calm would folk help
14. uncle drink danger single
15. donation natural situation suggestion
VII. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
1. a. volunteer b. hospital c. orphanage d. mountainous 2. a. museum b. interest c. handicapped d. difficult
3. a. participate b. organize c. voluntary d. usually
4. a. problem b. enough c. listen d. summer
5. a. example b. happiness c. advantage d. disaster VIII. Complete each of these sentences with an appropriate preposition.
1. He left his job to take care ______ his sick daughter.
2. They will have the opportunity to participate actively ______ the process.
3. The government plans to set ______ a regional library system.
4. He waited until they had carried ______ his orders to the fullest.
5. I volunteered ______ service in the Air Force.
6. He is very good ______ playing games.
7. Some students volunteer to work in remote areas to provide education ______ children.
8. Have you ever taken part ______ volunteer works?
9. All the students like joining ______ the Green Saturday Movement.
10. At the end of her life she suffered ______ Alzheimer's disease.
TEST 1. a. wholy b. wrap c. write d. who
2. a. flood b. good c. foot d. look
3. a. mountain b. country c. drought d. hour
4. a. university b. student c. volunteer d. museum 5. a. handicapped b. advantaged c. organized d. raised 6. The boys were taken ______ a fishing trip last weekend.
a. in b. to c. on d. for
7. She frequently volunteers ______ extra work because she really likes her job.
a. to b. for c. with d. in
8. We hope that students themselves will enjoy taking part ______ the projects.
a. in b. on c. at d. for
9. He volunteered his ______ as a driver.
a. job b, work c. service d. help
10. All the teachers work on an entirely ______ basis.
a. volunteer b. volunteered c. voluntary d. voluntarily
11. They volunteer to take care of children who have been ______ by the AIDS epidemic.
a. supported b. suffered c. left d. orphaned 12. It's filthy' in here! Are there any volunteers to help ______?
a. light up b. clean up c. clear up d. take up 13. He eventually ______ his disability to achieve some business success.
a. overcame b. destroyed c. overwhelmed d. suffered
14. The new law allows school districts to spend more money on less ______ children.
a. advantageous b. disadvantageous c. advantaged d. disadvantaged 15. A lot of children participated in ______ performances.
a. raising-fund b. fundraising c. fundraise d. funding-raise 16. I'm sure it's not my fault that Peter found out what we were planning.
I don't remember ______ anyone about it.
a. to tell b. being told c. having told d. to be told
17. The charity is appealing for volunteers ______ elderly patients to and from hospital.
a. to take b. taking c. taken d. who take
18. The building ______ the earthquake but then by a fire.
a. was survived - destroyed b. survived - was destroyed c. survived - destroyed d. was survived - was destroyed 19. ______ by the boys' behavior, she complained to the head teacher.
a. She annoyed b. Annoyed c. She was annoyed d. Annoying 20. 'Wait a minute,' said Frank, ______ through the door.
a. run b. runs c. running d. ran
21. ______ a hotel, we looked for somewhere to have dinner.
a. Finding b. We found c. Found d. Having fauna 22. The children enjoyed ______ on fishing .trips.
a. taking b. to be taken c. being taken d. having taken 23. Stacey seems like a bright student. She's always the first ______ her work.
a. to finish b. finishing c. being finished d. to be finished 24. We were shocked to hear the news of your ______.
a. having fired b. to be fired c. having been fired d. to have been fired 25. I think I hear someone ______ the back window. Do you hear it, too?
a. trying open b. trying to open c. try opening d. try to open 26. When I was sick with the flu, my mother made me to eat soup and rest in bed
A B C D
27. Having lived here for seven years, my friend is used to speak English with all her classmates.
A B C D 28. To grow well, a tree must be well-suited to the area where is it planted.
A B C D
29. Despite modern medical technology, many diseases causing by viruses I are still not curable.
A B C D
30. We should have been informed Janis about the change in plans regarding our weeken trip to the mountains.
A B C D Fill in each blank with one appropriate word from the box.
governments worldwide suffered communities enable emergency nutrition developing services quality UNICEF means the United Nations Children's Fund. It serves children in (31) ______ all over the world. It helps children of all races, nationalities, religions, and political systems in more than 140 (32) ______ countries. The purpose of UNICEF is to help provide better life for children and their mothers. UNICEF gives both long-term assistance and (33) ______ help.
UNICEF was created in 1946 to help bring food and medicine to children who (34) ______ during World War II in Europe. It began as a temporary agency, but became a permanent part of the United Nations in 1953 due to the need for its (35) ______ around the world. UNICEF's primary concern is to help governments of developing countries improve the (36) ______ of life for almost one billion children. UNICEF's main office is in the United Nations offices in New York City, but it also has more than 40 offices and 100 programs (37) ______. In 1965, UNICEF won the Nobel Peace Prize for its work helping children and building brighter futures.
UNICEF works with (38) ______ to provide three kinds of services. First, UNICEF plans and develops programs in developing countries. These programs serve the community by providing health care, information about (39) ______, basic education, and safe water and sanitation. Then UNICEF trains people to work in these programs.
UNICEF also provides supplies and equipment that (40) ______ the programs to work.
UNIT 6: COMPETITIONS