UBND HUYỆN GIA LÂM
TRƯỜNG THCS CAO BÁ QUÁT NỘI DUNG ÔN TẬP HK II Năm học 2020-2021 MÔN: Tiếng Anh- Khối 8
1. Vocabulary: from Unit 7- unit 11 2. Phonetic:
- Stress of the words ending in “ –ic” , “ a-al”, “- ese”, “- ee”, “ - -logy”, “ – graphy”, “- ity”, “- itive”, “ – un”, “ – im”
- conditional sentence type 1,2.
- Present tenses - Passive voice - Past perfect tense - Future tenses - To V- V-ing - Reported speech.
- Topic 1: Talk about type of pollution
- Topic 2: Talk about your favourite English speaking countries - Topic 3: Talk about your favourite way of communication II. Practice
Ex 1:Choose the word whose main stress is different from the others.
1. A. alphabetic B. dynamic C. systematic D. electronic
2. A. relic B. critic C. classic D. Magnetic
3. A. coffee B. Chinese C. payee D. trainee
4. A. refuree B. guarantee C. Japanese D. jubilee 5. A. forecast B. tornado C. hurricane D. tropical 6. A. extensive B. dangerous C. furniture D. carriage 7. A. appliance B. activity C. adventure D. average 8. A. economic B. volcanic C. disappoited D. scientific Ex 2: Put the correct form of the verb.
1. We (be) ____________ happy if air pollution were the only problem.
2. They would be disappointed if you (not go) _____________ to their party.
3. If we (use) _______ this kind of light bulb, we can save energy.
4. Peter should go to sleep early if he (not want) ____________ to be tired the next morning.
5. If you (take) _______________ more exercises, you would be more resistant to diseases.
6. You may have car accident unless you (drive) ________________ more carefully.
7. If I travel to London, I (visit) ____________ its museum.
8. If they offer me the job, I think I (accept) _________________ it.
9. Many people (be) ____________ out of work if the local factory closed down.
10. What (happen) _________________ if that red button was pressed?
Ex 3: Rewrite these sentences using conditional sentence type 1,2 1. Turn off all the lights and you will not pay more money.
2. Unless she wears warm clothes, she will have a cold.
3. Be careful or you may have an accident.
4. phone your parents or you have a trouble.
5. Unless she whispers, everyone knows what she is saying.
6. There isn’t a library in my neighborhood. I cannot borrow books.
7 My health is not good. I don’t play extreme sports.
8 We cannot go for a picnic because it is pouring with rain.
9 I don’t have much free time. I cannot come to your party.
10. Jim doesn’t have any siblings. He feels lonely sometimes.
Ex 4: Put the correct form of the verbs using PRESENT TENSES
1. Where’s Mary? She (listen) __________________ to a new CD in her room.
2. Don’t forget to take your umbrella with you today. You know it (be) _____________
the raining season now.
3. Jean always (learn) __________ English at this time every day but today she (not study) _______ at the moment.
4. What time _____________ (the meeting/ happen) tomorrow? I (not know) ___________________ it yet. I (wait) _________________ for the announcement.
5. Where _______ (you/live) since you moved from your old house?
6. Look! The sun (rise) __________ over the ocean. This is the most amazing scene I (ever/ see) ______________.
7. He (speak) _________ Japanese so well because He (come) ___________ from Japan.
8. ________ (you/ usually/ go) for Christmas or _________ (you/stay) at home?
9. Look! Your friend (hold) ___________ some roses. They (look) ____________ lovely.
10. _____________ (you/ finish) your assignment yet? No, I ________________.
Ex 5: Put the correct form of the verbs using Past Perfect or Simple past 1. I (tell) __________by Jim that he (paint) __________the entire house.
2. Japanese children (teach) _________how to escape an earthquake at an early age.
3. When we (arrive)___________, we (find)________that the bus (leave)__________.
4. The police (evacuate) _______the building before it (collapse)_____________.
5. When she (call) _________me last night, I (go) _________to sleep, so I could’t answer her.
6. I (never meet)________________Peter before the party last night.
7. Food and shelters (provide)_________________to the local people at the moment.
8. What (do)____________so far to minimize the impacts of natural disasters in our country.
9. I (prepare) __________carefully before I (give) the _____________the presentation about the impacts of natural disasters.
10. My friend (save)________ a lot of money before he (decide) ______to buy a new house.
Ex 6: Put the correct form of the verbs in Simple future/ Future continuous 1. I can buy it for you. I (shop)__________________ in the afternoon anyway.
2. Is Bill at school? – No, he isn’t. I suppose he (come) __________________
3. I hope Simon (be) __________________there.
4. Did you remember to invite Mrs. Oates? – Oh, no! I forgot. But I (call) - __________________ her now.
5. I’ll have a holiday next week. I (not get up) __________________ at 6 o’clock as usual.
6. You are so late! Everybody (work) __________________ when you arrive at the office.
7. Be careful or the cars (knock) __________________ you down.
8. We (move) __________________ our house this time tomorrow.
9. He (play) __________________ tennis at 7.30. He usually starts at 7 o’clock. Could you come before that?
10. Your suitcase is so big. I (take) __________________ it for you.
Ex 7: To V- Ving.
1. They are used to (prepare) ______________ new lessons.
2. By (work) ______________ day and night , he succeeded in ( finish) ______________
the job in time
3. His doctor advised him (give) ______________up (smoke)______________.
4. Please stop (talk)______________. We will stop (eat) __________lunch in ten minutes.
5. Stop (argue) ______________and start (work) ______________.
6. I like (think) ______________carefully about things before (make) ______________decision.
7. Ask him (come) ______________in. Don't keep him (stand) _____________at the door.
8. Did you succeed in (solve) ______________the problem?
9. Don’t forget (lock)______________ the door before (go)_______ to bed.
10. Don’t try (persuade) ______________ me . Nothing can make me (change)______________ my mind.
11. Nam suggested _______________ (talk) the children to school yesterday.
12. They decided ________________ (play) tennis with us last night.
13. Mary helped me ______________ (repair) this fan and __________ (clean) the house.
14. We offer _______________ (make) a plan.
15. We required them _______________ (be) on time.
16. Kim wouldn’t recommend him ______________ (go) here alone.
17. I’m not in a hurry. I don’t mind______________.( wait ) for you.
18. My father gave up ______________( smoke ) three years ago.
19. Would you mind ______________( keep ) silent ? I’m trying _____________( study ).
20. I always try to avoid______________( borrow ) money from my friends.
Ex 8: Complete the sentences using passive voice.
1. Jim will pick me to the airport tomorrow.
2. Peter wrote his report last week.
3. They will replace the old equipment with new one.
4. What will they do to prevent natural disasters?
5. I think we will soon use up the natural resourses.
6. The children water the trees every two days.
7. They never mentioned Jim in their conversation.
8. Next month I will visit my grandmother.
9. When will they sell their new products?
10. At midnight, my brother and I was making a wish list.
Ex 9: Complete the sentences using reported speech.
1. Mr. Miller said, ‘I can’t come to the meeting on Sunday’
Mr. Miller said (that) __________________________________________________
2. Mary said, ‘I’m feeling ill’
Mary said (that) _____________________________________________________
3. Your brother said, ‘I like chocolate’
Your brother said (that) ________________________________________________
4. My brother said, ‘I’m going to learn to cook’
My brother said (that) _________________________________________________
5. He said, ‘I’ll learn English online tomorrow’
He said (that) _______________________________________________________
6. My cousin said, ‘I’m not enjoying my job very much recently’
My cousin said (that) ___________________________________________________
7. My parents said, ‘We’ll phone you when we get back’
My parents said (that) ____________________________________________
8. Susan said, ‘You don’t know what Bob is doing’
Susan said (that) ___________________________________________________
9. She said, ‘I’ll tell dad I saw you’
She said (that) ___________________________________________________
10. He said, ‘I have got a toothache’
He said (that) __________________________________________________
Ex 10: Choose the best answer
1. The man said that he __________ from Bulgari.
A. come B. came C. is coming D. had come
6. Marie Curie, Polish-born French physicist, was famous __________ her work on radioactivity.
A. for B. with C. on D. at
7. If I watch weather forecast regularly, I __________ when the storm strikes the city.
A. will know B. know C. did know D. knew
8. Some people believe that aliens are just __________ creatures.
A. imagine B. imagining C. imaginative D. imaginary 9. The students __________ for an exam at this time next week.
A. are sitting B. will be sitting C. will sit D. are going to sit
10. This is the first time I __________ seafood.
A. try B. tried C. have tried D. am trying
11. What is the most well-known __________ invention in the 19th century?
A. scientist B. scientific C. science D.
12. People had __________ into a temporary shelter after the mud slide.
A. move B. to move C. moving D. moved
13. The children are looking forward __________ the parade.
A. to see B. seeing C. to seeing D. seen
14. This ancient cathedral __________ by two archeologists in 1988.
A. discovered B. is discovered C. had discovered D. was discovered
15. We try __________ in touch with our neighbor after moving our house.
A. to keep B. to come C. to take D. to have
16. Bobby asked me __________ I liked collecting stamps.
A. as B. though C. whether D. what
17. Before he did his homework, he __________ a TV show.
A. watches B. had watched C. watched D. is
18. Playing badminton __________ so interesting that we play it three times a week.
A. are B. be C. is D. has been
19. We would take part in the competition if the prize __________ bigger.
A. were B. is C. had been D. was
20. A __________ guide is a person employed to show tourists around places of interest.
A. tourist B. touring C. tour D. tourism
21. Water pollution may result __________ the dead of marine life.
A. in B. on C. for D. at
22. At this time tomorrow, Bing __________ an examination.
A. will have B. is having C. has had D. will be
23. If the storm __________ our areas, the damage will be huge.
A. strike B. strikes C. is striking D. stroke
24. My teacher __________ me to open my bag.
A. said B. said that C. told D. tell that
25. Robots save workers from __________ dangerous tasks.
A. making B. having C. performing D. carrying
26. Many people believe that robots have made workers jobless __________ that is not necessarily true.
A. but B. and C. so D. or
27. Recent __________ developments have made robots more user-friendly and intelligent.
A. science B. scientist C. scientific D.
28. Teenagers spend most of their time playing computer games, __________ they lost their interests in daily activities.
A. moreover B. so C. however D. as a result
29. Science and technology have __________ the life safe, secure and comfortable.
A. transformed B. made C. done D. changed
30. What is the ___________language of France?
A. office B. officially C. official D. offices
31. Science is used in all corners of the world for the __________ of people.
A. interest B. need C. profits D. benefit
32. At the moment, my mother __________ in the kitchen.
A. is cooking B. cook C. cooks D. has
33. We couldn’t organize a video conference __________ the network signal is weak.
A. although B. therefore C. because D. despite
34. This plant should __________ as soon as possible.
A. is planted B. plants C. be planted D. planting
35. I __________ in this company for 5 years.
A. have worked B. work C. am working D. worked
Ex 11: Read the following passage, and answer the questions that follow
Thomas Alva Edison was born in Ohio in 1847. As a child, he received less than a year of formal schooling, but was educated at home. His parents allowed him to set up a laboratory in their basement and his mother gave him books about chemistry and electronics. Edison credits his mother as being ‘the making’ of him.In 1878, Thomas Edison began serious research into developing a practical incandescent lamp and on October 14, 1878, Edison filed his first patent application for "Improvement In Electric Lights". In 1879 he created a successful incandescent light bulb. This was his hardest project – from 1877 to 1880, Edison and his assistants tried around 3000 experiments to perfect their light bulb design. By the end of 1880, Edison had produced a bulb that lasted 1500 hours. This discovery marked the beginning of commercially manufactured light bulbs and in 1880, Thomas Edison’s company, Edison Electric Light Company began marketing its new product.
1. When was Edison born?
A. in 1878 B. in 1847 C. in 1877 D. in 1500
2. Where was Edison’s laboratory?
A. at his school B. in a company C. in the city D. in their basement 3. How many hours did the 1880 bulb last?
A. 3000 B. 1500 C. 1880 D. 1878
4. What does the word “its” in the last sentence refer to?
A. Thomas Edison’s company B. Thomas Edison’s patent C. Thomas Edison’s invention D. Thomas Edison’s discovery 5. What is the main idea of the passage?
A. A brief history of the light bulb B. The early life of Thomas Edison C. Family of Thomas Edison D. Thomas Edison’s company Ex 12: Read the following passage, and answer the questions that follow
Alexander Graham Bell is widely known as inventor of the first telephone. He was born on March 3rd, 1847 in Edinburgh, Scotland. When he was 23, Bell emigrated to Canada with his parents and the next year moved to the United States to teach deaf-mute children. With his colleague Thomas Watson, Bell worked very hard on the experimentation to invent devices such as the harmonic telegraph (used to send multiple messages over a single wire) and phonautograph (used to draw the shape of the sound waves). The first telephone communication was said to have happened between Bell and Watson in 1876 while Bell was at one end of the line, and Watson worked on the telephone in other room. The first transmitted words were, ‘Mr Watson, come here. I want to see you’.
a. Decide if the statements are T or F
1. _________ Alexander Graham Bell is Scottish.
2. _________ He spent all his life in Canada.
3. _________ He worked with the deaf when he moved to the USA.
4. _________ He wanted to create a device that can transmit human voice.
5. _________ He was able to succeed right from the first experiment.
6. _________ He worked on his inventions all by himself.
b. Answer the questions
7. When was Alexander Graham Bell born?
8. Who did he move to Canada with?
9. What is Bell’s ‘phonautograph’ used to do?
10. When did the first communication over happened?
Ex 13: Read the following passage, and answer the questions that follow
An earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale hit Nepal on April 25th, 2015. It was the most powerful earthquake to strike Nepal since 1934. The earthquake occurred in central Nepal. It also affected India, Bangladesh and Tibet, China. The earthquake killed more than 8,800 people and injured over 23, 000 people. Hundreds of thousands of people were made homeless with entire villages flattened. Kathmandu Burbar Square, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, was destroyed. The earthquake also caused an avalanche on Mount Everest which killed at least 19 people. About 90% of soldiers from Nepalese Army were sent to stricken areas. Many countries and international organizations sent medical experts, emergency workers, rescue staff, and money as well as providing medical supplies, food and equipment to help Nepal.
1. What hit Nepal on April 25th, 2015?
A. a tsunami B. a tornado C. an earthquake D. a forest fire 2. How many countries are affected by the earthquake?
A. two B. three C. four D. five
3. What is the number of people injured?
A. 8,800 B. 23,000 C. 88,000 D. 2,300
4. What happened to Kathmandu Burbar Square?
A. It was safe B. It was destroyed C. It was moved away D. It wasn’t exist Ex 14 : Read the text and do the tasks.
Almost a hundred thousand people were killed and half a million homes destroyed as a result of an earthquake in Tokyo in 1923. The earthquake began a minute before noon when the habitants of Tokyo were cooking their midday meals. Thousand of stoves were overturned as soon as the earth began to shake. As a result, small fires broke out
everywhere and quickly spread. The fire engines were prevented from going to help because many of the roads had cracked open. It was impossible to use fire fighting equipment as most of the water pipes had burst. Consequently, over ninety percent of the damage was caused by fire rather than by the collapse of buildings
These sentences are T (true) or F (false)
1. _____A hundred thousand people were killed in Tokyo in 1923 because of an earthquake:
2. _____The earthquake began a minute before midnight .
3. _____The fire engines were prevented from going to help because most of the water pipes had
4. _____Over ninety percent of the damage was caused by fire.
Nhóm trưởng duyệt ( Đã duyệt) Ngô Thị Tuyết